Each tablet contains : 8 mg. Bromhexine HCl .
Each 5 ml of syrup contains : 4 mg. Bromhexine HCl
- Bromhexine HCl is considered a mucolytic agent used for the treatment of Respiratory disorders associated with the presence mucoviscidosis , as some refrences speak about the effect of Bromhexine in diluting the mucosa secretions . Moreover , it also stimulates lacrimal secretion of sjogren’s syndrome , and accelerates the antibiotics penetration in the inflammatories of mucosa .
Bromhexine is rapidly absorbed from gastro intestinal tract , and about 90% of the dose is excreted in the urine mainly as metabolites .
The half life of its about 6.5 hours .
Bromhexin is used for the treatment of : - Bacterial infections of the respiratory system associated with heavy viscous sputum especially :
* Chronic and acute bronchitis .
* Allergic bronchitis especially bronchial asthma associated with viscous sputum .
* Chronic obstructive pneumonia .
* Bronchiectasis .
- May be used in lesions which associated with xeromucosa in Reiter -Sjogren‘s Syndrome .
Side effects :
* Rarely some gastro intestinal disorders such as nausea and vomiting may occur .
* Transient rises in the serum amino transferase .
* this medicine Should be used carefully ( especially in parenteral use ) in cases of anergy of mucus elimination mechanisms ( as in cases of coma and anesthesia ) .
* Should be used with care in patients with impaired renal and hepatic function , also In patients with a history of peptic ulceration .
Drug interactions :
* Bromhexin should not be used with medicine wich has an atropinic effects .
* Should be used during pregnancy and nursing period as physician prescriptions .
Usage & Administration :
* Adults : ( 1 -2 ) spoonful or ( 1 - 2 ) tablets ( 3 - 4) times daily as severity of clinical case .
* Children over 5 years : one teaspoonful ( 5 ml ) four times daily .
* Children less than 5 years : 1/2 teaspoonful (2.5 ml )three times daily .
Bromhexin syrup : Bottle ( 100 ml ) * Bromhexin tablets : 20 tablets / box .